5 Tips to Ensure You Have a Killer Social Media Strategy
In most industries having a strong presence on social media is essential. And, if I’m being honest, it’s not enough to just inadvertently post here and there to maintain a consistent page and gain awareness. My recommendation is that you should never “just do” anything. Everything you do should have a purpose and know that the content you are posting will meet your audience at different stages of their journey with your company. There needs to be strategic thought behind all aspects of social media from platform choice, to posted content, to posting frequency and everything in between. But how do you get started with your social media strategy? This can sound overwhelming I know so we’ve decided to help make it a little easier on you and set you up with five tips to ensure you have a kick-ass strategy.
- Organic Content: First and foremost, what are you posting? Mass sharing the same exact content on every platform is not going to help you. Content should be tailored specifically to each platform. Each platform has a slightly different goal so content will need to reflect those goals. Plus, don’t forget that content physically looks different on each platform too. Next, is your content shareable? Your audience most likely doesn’t share e-blasts or Google banners to tell a friend about a product or company they like but they do do that on social media! They’ll tag their friends in posts, share one of your posts that they like to their own pages and more!
- Understand your audience: Who are you posting for and what type of audience are you trying to engage? You’ll need to mentally answer those two questions before you post anything. The last thing you want to do is spend time researching and posting content that won’t resonate with your audience.
- Posting frequency: There is a fine line between posting too much and not posting enough. You don’t want to flood your audience with too much content that it becomes white noise but you also have to post enough to stay relevant and top of mind. Your frequency will need to be tailored to your pages but a good rule of thumb is to post at least three times a week on Facebook, at least once a day on Twitter and three times a week on Instagram. From there you can adjust based on your industry, audience and engagement rate.
- Paid, Paid, Paid: It is a pay to play game! You get what you pay for. Facebook advertising is key to any social media strategy plan. Facebook ads have the ability to reach a much larger audience and increase your overall engagement immensely. *Pro Tip: You can only advertise on Instagram through Facebook.
- Analytics: Lastly you need to always be aware of your page’s analytics. If you’re not measuring what you’re doing on social media, then you’ll never know how well you’re doing. Analytics are your friend! They can tell you which content is most engaging, which is not, who in your audience is engaging the most and so much more. One of the best things about social media is you can adjust at a moment’s notice and your analytics will help tell you which direction to go in.
Now go kick some social media ass! You got this!